Did you know?
You can receive automatic email updates on FEMA press releases, disaster declarations, our latest blog posts, and information from our partners? Check it out!
Surge Capacity Force Specialist Opportunity – In fulfilling the Administrator’s vision and direction of Every Employee is an Emergency Manager, the Response Directorate, Incident Workforce Management Office is seeking personnel from FEMA’s full-time workforce to support the Federal Surge Capacity Force Program as a collateral duty.
Important updates: The deadline for accepting applications has been extended two weeks, to August 17, 2012. In addition, the required training session that supports this activity has been reduced to 2 weeks, starting September 9th and ending September 23rd. Your program office merely needs to authorize your participation at the training; IWMO will pay for your travel, lodging and training expenses. IWMO is currently determining primary and alternate personnel to serve in this capacity, and welcomes all interested PFT and CORE employees to apply for this opportunity.
Please send requests for more information or completed application forms to Steve Oliver and Jeff Coble at SurgeCapacityForce@dhs.gov or call 866-709-2328.
- Tropical Storm Debby - A First Person Account of Deployment.
- Albany Joint Field Office hosts Presidential Management Fellow Susanna Marking - For the past month, the Albany Joint Field Office has hosted Presidential Management Fellow Susanna Marking.
- Springfield-Greene County, Mo., successfully completes FEMA Course - Officials, first responders and emergency personnel from Greene County and the City of Springfield came together as a team to participate in a four-day exercise-based training course during the week of July 16-19.
- Center for Domestic Preparedness Uses Technology to Reduce Material Costs - In an effort to cut spending and reduce the amount of paper needed for the course materials provided to emergency responder students, FEMA’s Center for Domestic Preparedness is counting on technology to save money and introduce modern training methods into learning.
- Region V ESF-6 workshop - July 26 and 27, Region V held an ESF-6 workshop in an effort to further inform and develop the region’s all-hazards plan.
- Welcome to the new FEMA.gov – The Federal Emergency Management Agency content management system Implementation and Migration project was established by the Office of External Affairs to support the Web Strategic Plan as authorized by the FEMA Administrator.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- FEMA Internal Rotation Program – August 2 - The Career Development and Training Office has posted six internal rotation announcements this week.
- August 10 Lessons in Leadership workshop - The August 10 Lessons in Leadership workshop invitation has been extended to the first 50 registrations received from GS1 – GS7 (or TSA pay band equivalent) DHS employees.
- Deadline Fast Approaching – August 10, 2012! Executive Development Opportunities - The Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer, Career Development and Training Branch is still accepting applications for the Capitol Hill Fellowship Program and LEGIS Fellowship Program.
Read these stories and more on Employee News Online.
- FEMA Mitigation Assessment Team Report on Spring 2011 Tornadoes
- Lessons from Colorado on Preparing for Wildfires
- Building Resilience through Public Private Partnerships
- FEMA Think Tank: Building, Sustaining & Envisioning Public-Private Partnerships
- Mitigation Specialists to Answer Questions in Nassau County – Aug 1
- Tropical Storm Debby Help is Ongoing – Aug 1
- Federal Aid Programs for District of Columbia Disaster Recovery – Aug 1
- Plaquemines Parish Emergency Management System Benefits From Flexible FEMA Grant – Jul 27
- Federal Aid Programs for Commonwealth of Virginia Disaster Recovery – Jul 27
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington, D.C. and will replace the FEMA Weekly.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted.
NOTE TO CONTRIBUTORS: The employee news site will provide the same news categories you became familiar with in the FEMA Weekly – News (Featured Articles), Announcements, and Around FEMA (Employee Collaboration). The news site will be updated daily. You can access the employee news site 24/7, from your work or home computer. Please refer to the updated submission guidelines.