Maximize telework benefits by overcoming communications barriers, message from Tonya Schreiber, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer, Workplace Transformation Initiative
Great news!! The FEMA Workplace Transformation initiative is in full swing with a lot of exciting things happening. Check out the schedule for the relocation of program offices throughout the National Capital Region.
In addition, the Workplace Transformation FAQs have been updated to provide guidance on the FEMA Telework Fitness Policy.
Telework tips were provided at the first Brown Bag discussion. Join us for the next Brown Bag session to be held on April 17 - Effective communications between managers and supervisors in a virtual environment.
From the Field
- Pilot Class for FEMA Public Assistance managers given at Harrisburg Joint Field Office.
- FEMA is collecting stories from Sandy survivors with disabilities or other access, other functional needs.
Employee News and Announcements
FedTraveler.com will undergo scheduled maintenance on Saturday, April 6, from 8 a.m to 4 p.m. EST. During this maintenance window, users may experience intermittent connectivity issues to FedTraveler.com. We anticipate interruptions not to last more than a few minutes. We apologize for any inconvenience to our user community. If you have questions, please call the Fedtraveler.com Helpdesk on 1-800-310-3169, Option 2.
- April marks the 34th anniversary of the creation of the Federal Emergency Management Agency and serves as an opportunity to highlight recent innovations that have enabled FEMA continue to fulfill its mission.
- FEMA Region VI Administrator is Officially Sworn In – Tony Robinson is first career SES Administrator for Region VI.
- Building Science Branch resource announces new Building Codes Toolkit
- Department of Homeland Security is hosting a “Kids Day @ DHS”
- Fedtraveler.Com notification of scheduled maintenance
- In Memory - Walter McDougal, passed away Friday, March 29.
FEMA Blog Stories and Photos
- Hi, I’m Craig, KK4INZ: Last week at FEMA HQ, I met with the American Radio Relay League, the national association for Amateur Radio. The ARRL is coming up on its Centennial Celebration next year and has been a valuable partner in emergency management through the decades.
- What We're Watching: 3/29/13 Author: Lars Anderson
- In recognition of the DHS ten year anniversary, Administrator Fugate recently sat down with FEMA colleagues to discuss some of the recent milestones at FEMA and the agency’s priorities moving forward. Some of the questions discussed and the Administrator’s responses have been posted onto the DHS blog as a two part series. Part 1 of the two-part series. Part 2 of the two-part series.
FEMA Rotational Opportunities
The FEMA Internal Rotation Program is a professional development program designed to engage and strengthen the FEMA workforce. The breadth and depth of an employee’s organizational knowledge will be enhanced as he/she participates in the Rotation Program.
DHS Rotational Opportunities
- Office of the Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman. The CISOMB is seeking individuals interested in a rotational assignment as a Program Assistant. Program Assistant’s will assist supervisors with identifying CISOMB database problems and reports problems for resolution. Works with the staff and management to identify and assist with correcting administrative and technical issues concerning office policies and procedures. To apply for DHS rotational opportunities visit DHSConnect.dhs.gov. Employees should review the announcement very carefully for specific instructions on eligibility and how to apply.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- Free National Fire Academy courses available in your area.
- Intelligence Community Developmental Programs - The DHS Intelligence Enterprise Professional Development Team is pleased to inform the workforce about three courses sponsored and delivered by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, through its Intelligence Learning Network.
- Fundamentals of Leadership application timeline extended - The Fundamentals of Leadership offers new supervisors the chance to learn more about their role within the agency and to develop proficiency in leadership competencies. The program is a requirement of all permanent fulltime and CORE supervisors hired after Oct. 1, 2011.
- The Office of Personnel Management is sponsoring two free 1-day leadership training seminars for National Security Professionals and Senior Executive Service members.
- Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations Workshops in the National Capital Region - The Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer is offering joint workshops on Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations at headquarters
- All-Hazards Position Specific Train-the-Trainer Program - The primary goal of the National Incident Management System Incident Command System All-Hazards Position Specific Training Program is to provide additional training that may be needed by personnel responsible for managing incidents of greater complexity than those typically encountered during routine operations.
- E910 – Integrated Emergency Management Course, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response Course Dates: July 22-25 -The E910 IEMC, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response, addresses preparedness and response in emergency situations based on an earthquake. The participants in the "generic" audience represent various communities from throughout the country.
Deployment Tools and Resources
- How To Prepare a Travel Voucher – For the Individual Traveler
- FEMA Travel Toolbox - The Travel Toolbox is intended to support FEMA travelers (FEMA Intranet)
- Travel Voucher Checklist - Reference Guide for Travelers and Approvers (FEMA Intranet)
- Deployment Guidance – ADD Check-In/Check-Out Procedures
- Time and Attendance Guidance for Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Lessons Learned Resources Available at LLIS.gov
- Reservist Program Federal Employees Health Benefits Program Health Care Coverage - Frequently Asked Questions
Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are aware of a FEMA employee that is not receiving these All Hands Messages, please have them contact the Enterprise Service Desk at 1-888-457-3362, or email Enterprise-Service-Desk and request to be added to the All Hands distribution lists. You must be a FEMA employee to be added to this list.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted. Please submit story ideas to FEMA-Weekly by COB Tuesday.