In case you missed it. FEMA Weekly Jan. 18, 2013
This week's "Training Opportunity Spotlight" is the Cyber Security Fundamentals Graduate Certificate Program, and the E536 – Performance Excellence Series Level I.
Apply today! Stay current with workplace transformation developments. Check the FEMA intranet regularly. The FEMA Telework Manual 123-9-1 found on the FEMA intranet provides guidance and policy direction for the administration, implementation, and oversight of FEMA’s telework program. Please check with your supervisor if you have questions.
From the field
Lessons from Sandy: A Word on Innovation by FEMA Deputy Administrator Richard Serino
- Reservist Program News and Information. UPDATED!! Reservist Program Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) Health Care Coverage - Frequently Asked Questions.
- Mobile Work; Resilience in the Aftermath of Sandy http://dhsconnect.dhs.gov/org/comp/mgmt/Pages/Mobile-Work;-Resilience-in-the-Aftermath-of-Sandy.aspx
Please submit story ideas to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov.
Employee News and Announcements
- Framework for Private Sector engagement - The Office of Chief Counsel is pleased to announce the release of its Framework for Private Sector Engagement. Similar to other recent OCC efforts like the Disaster Operations Legal Reference, the Framework is intended to dispel “urban myths” and provide legally-sufficient solutions for recurring challenges when dealing with private sector companies.
- Memo from Secretary Janet Napolitano: In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy’s landfall on Oct. 29, 2012, the nation experienced one of its largest and costliest natural disasters since Hurricane Katrina. With extensive damage caused by the historic storm, and many people’s homes and businesses damaged or destroyed, the devastation was far-reaching.
- FEMA dedicates Office of Response and Recovery’s conference room to former employee
- FEMA senior leadership, including Administrator Craig Fugate, Deputy Administrator Serino, Chief of Staff, Jason McNamara and former FEMA colleagues joined together to dedicate the 611B as the Lacy E. Suiter Conference Room.
- FEMA bids farewell to Administrator of Disaster Operations - Saying good-bye is always hard, and last Friday was a hard day as FEMA said good-by to William L. Carwile, III, Administrator for Disaster Operations. After over 40 years of cumulative federal service, Carwile retired from the agency.
- Hurricane Sandy Think Tank Timeline - Innovative response, recovery efforts during Hurricane Sandy. Please join officials from the White House Office of Public Engagement, Office of Science and Technology Policy, and Federal Emergency Management Agency for a Think Tank conference call on Feb. 6.
- It’s not too late to get a flu shot! Message from the FEMA Occupational Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division.
- Tech tips for Emergency Preparedness: Resolve to be ready this year when a disaster or emergency strikes through the use of every day technology. FEMA's Ready campaign in partnership with Citizen Corps and the Ad Council recommend incorporating technology into emergency plans.
- You’re invited to join more than one million people who will Drop, Cover, and Hold On during the Great Central U.S. ShakeOut Feb. 7 at 10:15 AM, local time. This regional earthquake drill will include participants across nine states (Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma and Tennessee). These states will practice what to do when an actual earthquake occurs.
- Tips for Flu Prevention Flu season had an early and significant start in many parts of the country. Individuals who received their flu shot early took the first and best preventive measure for fighting against the flu. There are still things you can do to protect yourself.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- The Fundamentals of Leadership is Now Accepting Registrations! - The Fundamentals of Leadership offers new supervisors the chance to learn more about their role within the agency and to develop proficiency in leadership competencies.
- USDA Executive Potential Program, GS-13 to GS-15 - Nomination Period Re-opened - The Executive Potential Program is hosted by the USDA Graduate School and is designed to enhance participant’s leadership effectiveness. The core curriculum is centered around the Office of Personnel Management’s Executive Core Qualifications with an emphasis on Leading Change. Nomination Deadline Feb. 8.
- Cyber Security Fundamentals Graduate Certificate Program, - Nomination Period Re-Opened - The Cyber Security Fundamentals Graduate Certificate Program is intended to provide a rigorous foundation upon which to build knowledge and skills in computer network defense, attack and exploitation. Nomination Deadline: Jan. 28
- Course: B449 Incident Command System Curricula Train-The-Trainer - this course is designed to prepare instructors to deliver Incident Command System related training courses. Course dates: March 4-7.
- The Fundamentals of Leadership is Now Accepting Registrations! - The Fundamentals of Leadership offers new supervisors the chance to learn more about their role within the agency and to develop proficiency in leadership competencies. Several course dates available.
- E536 – Performance Excellence Series Level I, “Representing the Agency” - Representing the Agency is a 4-day course designed to provide employees with techniques and tools to represent FEMA professionally. Application Deadline: Feb. 1
- NEW DEADLINE! FEMA Mentor Program – “Paying It Forward” - FEMA’s Mentor Program is designed to provide employees an opportunity to grow personally and professionally through a co-learning partnership with fellow colleagues to share aspirations and experiences. Application Deadline: Jan. 31
- Federal Acquisition Institute Training Application System - below is a list of Federal Acquisition Institute online and instructor-led courses for Contracting Officer Representatives. Several courses and dates available. All courses start Jan. 26
- DHS Master’s Degree Program and Executive Leaders Program - The Career Development and Training Branch is accepting nominations for the 2013 Fall cohorts of the DHS Master’s Degree Program and Executive Leaders Program. Application Deadline: Feb. 15
- Mandatory Training: Fraud Awareness and Prevention Training Module, IS-38 - This message is a follow-up to an earlier message announcing the launch of a Fraud Awareness and Prevention Training course; designed to enhance our efforts in preventing fraud, waste, and abuse as good stewards of federal tax payer dollars.
- E910 – Integrated Emergency Management Course, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response Course Dates: July 22-25, 2013 -The E910 IEMC, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response, addresses preparedness and response in emergency situations based on an earthquake. The participants in the "generic" audience represent various communities from throughout the country.
Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 1-800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297.
Deployment Tools and Resources
- How To Prepare a Travel Voucher – For the Individual Traveler
- FEMA Travel Toolbox - The Travel Toolbox is intended to support FEMA travelers (FEMA Intranet)
- Travel Voucher Checklist - Reference Guide for Travelers and Approvers (FEMA Intranet)
- Deployment Guidance – ADD Check-In/Check-Out Procedures
- Time and Attendance Guidance for Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Lessons Learned Resources Available at LLIS.gov
- Reservist Program Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) Health Care Coverage - Frequently Asked Questions
FEMA Blog Stories and Photos
- What We're Watching: 1/18/13 - At the end of each week, we post a "What We’re Watching" blog as we look ahead to the weekend and recap events from the week. We encourage you to share it with your friends and family, and have a safe weekend.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted.