- Monday, August 26, 2013, 2:00 p.m. The FEMA Employee Development Division is pleased to announce it will be hosting its second Virtual Employee Development Fair. Learn about the numerous employee development opportunities available to you, including the FEMA Rotations Program, the FEMA Mentoring Program, academic programs and much more! To join, sign-on as a guest at https://fema.connectsolutions.com/vedf/. There is limited connectivity, so we encourage program offices, regions, NPSCs and other fixed sites to block a conference room for group participation.
- Save the date! September 16 – DHS Employee Preparedness Fair.
- Save the date! September 24 – 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. EST. Webinar: Telework Success for Managers and Supervisors : Myths v/s Reality.
- Save the date! September 25 – Panel Discussion: Performance management with the mobile workforce.
FEMA Employee Performance Management Program: Memo from Corey J. Coleman, Acting Chief Component Human Capital Officer
Workplace Transformation News and Events
Carla’s Corner – New Workplace Etiquette Guide available for new open work environment
We don’t mean which fork to use or when to send a thank you note! We are talking about a great way to treat office neighbors while working in FEMA’s new work spaces. The Etiquette Guide covers such things as how to respect others by your noise levels, cleaning up after a major project, and eating away from your desk. If your team is not scheduled for a new work space, the etiquette guide still applies in many areas. Check out the etiquette guide, FEMA Handbook and other helpful information on the FEMA workplace transformation intranet site.
This guide will help all of us work together for the same mission: supporting our citizens and first responders. See you in our new neighborhoods and kitchens!
From the Field
- After 32 years, FEMA reservist is still answering the call At 80 years old, FEMA reservist Betty Roberson is thinking more about her fondness for FEMA, its mission and the friends that she has made over the course of 32 years and more than 100 deployments as an Individual Assistance specialist.
- Region VI Kicks Off the Volunteer Community Service Program FEMA volunteers donated time to help organize the Community Emergency Response Team’s warehouse in Denton, Texas, during an event coordinated by the newly-formed VCSP.
- Mount Weather Emergency Response Saves Life MWEOC rose to the occasion when one of their own required immediate emergency attention.
Employee News and Announcements
- DEADLINE APPROACHING! Fiscal Year 2013 Year-End Closing Instructions The Office of the Chief Financial Officer issued FY 2013 Year-End Closing Instructions on July 10, 2013. The Instructions provide the guidance necessary for Program Offices to support OCFO in closing of the FEMA’s accounting system, the Integrated Financial Management Information System to FY 2013 transactions. It applies to all FEMA employees to ensure that commitments, obligations, and expenditures are posted to IFMIS properly and in a timely manner.
- National Guard Military Police Company Prepares to Support State The 870th MP Company recently spent its annual training at FEMA’s Center for Domestic Preparedness, located in Anniston, Ala. During their two-week training, 93 soldiers attended more than six courses focused on effective use of law enforcement tactics in a contaminated crime scene and response actions following a terrorist attack.
- EA Conducts Disaster Media Training for DFCO Deputy Federal Coordinating Officer William Watrel recently participated in a training exercise designed to simulate the urgency and pressure encountered when interacting with the press in the event of an emergency.
FEMA Social Media
- What we’re watching – 8/16/13
- FEMA App with Disaster Reporter: Take GPS photos in a disaster area and upload them to us. Available on Android.
Training and Career Development
- NEW! Leader as Teacher Opportunity for Supervisors!
- Understanding the Interagency – A National Security Primer for National Security Professionals from the U.S. State Department
- Now Accepting Applications for the CHDS Master’s FY14 Cohort!
- The next Virtual Employee Development Fair will be on Monday, August 26th!
- NEW! Now accepting applications for the Federal Executive Institute’s (FEI) Leadership for a Democratic Society!
- NEW! Learn about your role in raising awareness of human trafficking!
- FEMA has three openings in the Excellence in Government Fellows Program!
- NEW! Learn how you can meet the Continual Learning and Leader as Teacher requirements!
- Help innovate employee learning at FEMA!
- Continual Learning Activity - Join the FEMA Leadership Library Book Club!
September 3 Deadline! L337 - Integrated Financial Management Information System - The objective of this course is for participants to learn to use the IFMIS error free; to understand several concepts including the single entry data concept; and to comprehend the goals and objectives of IFMIS.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are aware of a FEMA employee that is not receiving these All Hands Messages, please have them contact the Enterprise Service Desk at 1-888-457-3362, or email Enterprise-Service-Desk and request to be added to the All Hands distribution lists. You must be a FEMA employee to be added to this list.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted. Please submit story ideas to FEMA-Weekly by COB Tuesday.