Flu shots available are now available
Flu season is approaching and beginning Monday, Oct. 1st flu shots will be available to all FEMA employees. The shot is voluntary and provided at no cost to FEMA employees when administered at these FEMA Employee Health Centers.
Where: FEMA Health Center at 500 C St., Washington, Room 714H
Time: Mon – Fri – 8:30 a.m – 11 a.m.; 2 - 3 p.m.
Contact: Susan Petit, RN – 202-646-3851, Susan.Petit
Where: 1800 Bell St., Crystal City, Room 541
Time: Mon – Fri – 8:30 a.m – 11 a.m.; 2 - 3 p.m.
Contact: Renair Montgomery, RN – 202-212-2199, Renair.Montgomery
The Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division will also make the vaccination available onsite at other FEMA National Capital Region locations in the coming weeks to accommodate employees throughout the NCR, and will also contact FEMA Safety Officials and other POC’s to coordinate vaccinations for FEMA employees at Joint Field Offices, Regional Offices and other area locations.
Please have your FEMA ID with you to obtain the vaccine. If possible, wear a short sleeve shirt as the vaccination has to be administered to the upper arm. If you are currently ill or have experienced a fever, please wait 48 hours after symptoms resolve before receiving the vaccine.
Reservist employees who are not deployed can locate a FOH clinic closest to them, by contacting FOH Information Referral Service Hotline 800-457-9808, between the hours of 8 a.m. 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday.
- FEMA Region I Feds Feed Families - FEMA Region I touts their 2012 Feds Feed Families Food Drive as a huge success, and give much of the credit to the remarkable efforts of Nulise Francois, Region I emergency management program specialist.
- FEMA’s 2012 Community Resilience Innovation Challenge - On Thursday Sept. 27, FEMA announced the start of the application period for the Community Resilience Innovation Challenge Opportunity. This new monetary opportunity is designed to continue to move community preparedness forward and assist local areas in building and revitalizing community-based partnerships to advance the nation’s resilience to disasters. Submissions will be accepted through Oct. 26.
- Version 2.0 of the Mission Support Customer Guide has been released - The Mission Support Customer Guide is available on the FEMA Mission Support Bureau Intranet Home Page.
- Region X Hosts Consular Roundtable - What happens when, without warning, a shallow magnitude 7.2 earthquake occurs along the Seattle Fault? This became the subject of Region X’s first Consular Roundtable.
- Facts About West Nile Virus - In light of the recent outbreaks of the West Nile virus throughout the country, FEMA Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division would to provide awareness to all FEMA employees on West Nile virus.
- Determined Sentry 2012 – Continuity of Operations Telework Drill - During the month of November, FEMA - National Continuity Programs, in collaboration with Office of Chief Information Officer and Office of Chief Human Capital Officer, will conduct a no-notice telework drill.
- Hatch Act Reminder - The Hatch Act is a Federal law that regulates political campaign activity by Federal employees as well as State, and local government employees that are paid with federal funds. Read more.
The Office of the Chief Financial Officer announces Posting of CFO Bulletin 151-NEMA Conference Travel Advisory
- On Sept. 17 the Office of the Chief Financial Officer posted a new Bulletin. This bulletin provides travel guidance for all FEMA employees planning to attend the National Emergency Managers Association conference, held in early October. You may access the document on the Travel Policy tab in the FEMA Travel Toolbox on the FEMA intranet. Questions regarding this policy should be directed to: FEMA-TravelPolicy.
- The Office of the Chief Financial Officer announces Fedtraveler.com 48 Hour Auto-Cancellation Rule - Due to recent changes in the FY13 City Pair Program, beginning Oct. 1 all travel contract fares (YCA, CA and all CB fares) that are booked 72 hours or more prior to departure will require ticketing at least 48 hours prior to scheduled departure time.
- FEMA Leader Development Program announces selections for FY13 Programs! - The FEMA Leader Development Program is pleased to announce the names of individuals selected for the FY13 programs.
- Annual Flu Vaccinations - FEMA Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division is working closely with Federal Occupational Health to prepare for this year’s annual flu vaccinations for FEMA staff.
- Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297; or e-mail DHSOIGHOTLlNE.
- Internal Rotation Opportunities - The FEMA Internal Rotation Program is a professional development program designed to engage and strengthen the FEMA workforce. The Career Development and Training Office has posted five internal rotation announcements.
Nominations are being accepted for the following:
- DHS Master’s Degree Program
- DHS Executive Leaders Program
- National Intelligence University (NIU) Program (Master of Science of Strategic Intelligence)
The Department is accepting applications for the NIU, Master of Science of Strategic Intelligence (MSSI) Program. The MSSI is a full-time 11-month degree program designed to assist students in developing global awareness and understand how historical, economic, cultural, political and social contexts affect intelligence and national security. For additional Graduate and Master’s Program information and eligibility requirements, please review the Fact Sheet.
The Department of Defense enables employees to obtain their masters’ degree in a number of academic fields. The programs are 10 to 11 months in-residence opportunities.
This course is designed to provide managers and supervisors with a basic understanding of EEO laws and regulations as well as their responsibilities with respect to EEO, affirmative employment and managing diversity.
The FEMA Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer, Career Development and Training Branch is providing additional Human Resources for Supervisors and Managers classes to ensure agency supervisors and managers hired or promoted prior to Fiscal Year 2012 meet their developmental obligations and have a quality learning experience.
Happening soon! Executive Development Open House
The Career Development and Training Branch is hosting an Executive Development Open House on October 4 from 9 - 11 a.m at the Portals III Building in Washington. The Open House provides an opportunity for employees to receive program information about the currently advertised Executive Development Opportunities: National Intelligence University Program and the DoD Senior Service Schools.
Read these stories and more on Employee News Online.
Prepared for Anything: City Life Author: Andrew Velasquez III
Flat Stanley & Stella Train with Community Volunteers Author: Mary Jo Flynn
Discussions with Isaac Survivors: Reliving the Storm & Looking to Recovery Author: David Myers
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington, and will replace the FEMA Weekly.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted.
NOTE TO CONTRIBUTORS: The employee news site will provide the same news categories you became familiar with in the FEMA Weekly – News (Featured Articles), Announcements, and Around FEMA (Employee Collaboration). The news site will be updated daily. You can access the employee news site 24/7, from your work or home computer. Please refer to the updated submission guidelines.