Follow all of the Isaac updates on the FEMA blog.
DHS Secretary Napolitano visits the FEMA NRCC. Read about it on our blog.
Did you know?
The Intranet homepage has been redesigned? We want to let all FEMA employees know that the intranet homepage only is being redesigned. The navigation of the intranet site itself will not change. Our goal is to provide easy access to all of the tools and resources you need to do your jobs and keep you informed with updated online agency news. We encourage you to take a look at the preview page and give us your feedback via the FEMA-Employee-Communications mailbox. The page will go live within the next two weeks. Many thanks!
The upcoming 2012 FEMA Administrator's Awards ceremony will recognize individual and team achievements in the following categories:
- Exemplary Emergency Manager - The Exemplary Emergency Manager Award recognizes exceptional and unique achievements that build and strengthen our nation’s capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and/or mitigate all hazards.
- Outstanding Survivor Service - The Outstanding Survivor Service Award recognizes exceptional and unique achievements that improve service to or outcomes for disaster survivors.
- Innovation - The Innovation Award recognizes exceptional and unique operational innovations that result in increased mission effectiveness or efficiency.
The Administrator’s Awards are honorary and non-monetary. Any FEMA employee may nominate a colleague or team for an award for individual and team achievements that occurred from Aug. 1, 2011 to July 31, 2012 ("award period"). The nominating employee must have been actively employed during the award period. Nominations are due by Sept. 17, 2012. Visit the intranet for more information or to make a nomination.
Recent updates to Employee News Online include the following highlights:
- LLIS.gov Offers Hurricane Lessons Learned Resources - LLIS.gov is FEMA’s national, on-line network of lessons learned, best practices and innovative ideas for the emergency response and homeland security communities. Resources include after-action reports, plans and other reports, preparedness guides, and detailed information on past hurricanes, including Irene (2011), Ike (2008) and Gustav (2008).
- EMI Superintendent named internal training integration director, training committee holds first meeting - Citing the need to “ensure that our internal training and career development programs are efficient, effective and focused on our core mission of helping disaster survivors”, FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate recently announced his selection of EMI Superintendent Tony Russell to serve as FEMA’s director of internal training integration.
- Emergency Management Institute Conducts Foundations of Emergency Management in Pigeon Forge, TN - In the foothills of the Smoky Mountains, 18 emergency managers from state, tribal, and local governments in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee, met in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., Aug. 13-24, to attend the Emergency Management Institute’s L101 Foundations of Emergency Management course. The Foundations of Emergency Management course is the keystone course of the Emergency Manager Basic Academy, and the Pigeon Forge offering is the first off-campus delivery.
- New FEMA LawTalk Podcast: Overview of Readiness and Pre-Declaration Activities.
The Office of Chief Counsel is pleased to announce the latest entry in the FEMA LawTalk podcast series: Overview of Readiness and Pre-Declaration Activities. During this podcast, FEMA’s Chief Counsel discusses FEMA’s authority to act before a Governor’s request for assistance.
- National Preparedness Month Outreach - This September will mark the eighth year for the DHS/FEMA Office of National Capital Region Coordination National Preparedness Month Outreach Program, Ready Campaign, and Citizen Corps to sponsor National Preparedness Month.
- Hatch Act Reminder - The Hatch Act is a Federal law that regulates political campaign activity by Federal employees as well as State, and local government employees that are paid with federal funds. Read more.
- OCFO Announces Posting of FEMA Directive 077-2-OMB A-133 Single Audit Resolution - The OCFO has posted a new Directive on Aug, 22, 2012. This directive establishes FEMA’s policy for Single Audit compliance and audit resolution pursuant to OMB Circular A-133, Audits of State, Local Governments, and Non-Profit Organizations. This directive also establishes a central oversight office within FEMA to collect, track, monitor, and assist in the resolution of A-133 Single Audit findings. You may access the document on the “Manuals and Directives” page of OCFO Financial Policy’s intranet site. Questions regarding this policy should be directed to: FEMA-TravelPolicy@fema.gov.
- Annual Flu Vaccinations - FEMA Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division is working closely with Federal Occupational Health to prepare for this year’s annual flu vaccinations for FEMA staff.
- Secretary's Speakers Series Announcement - The Office of Academic Engagement, in conjunction with the Office of the Chief Human Capital Officer Student Programs and Services Office will host the Department of Homeland Security Secretary’s Speaker Series workshop on Monday, Sept. 17, at 2 p.m. at the Office of the Chief Human Capital Officer, 1201 New York Avenue, N.W., 12th Floor, Training Rooms 1, 2, and 3, Washington.
- OCFO Announces Providing Prompt Payment - 15 Day Pay Initiative - The FEMA Office of the Chief Financial Officer has been working with the Office of Management and Budget on providing prompt payment to small businesses. Pursuant to the OMB Memorandum 12-16 issued on July 11, for a period of one year the OCFO will be working towards a goal of paying all vendor payments within 15 days of receiving proper documentation. This initiative does not affect the application of the Prompt Pay Act’s late-payment interest penalty provisions.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- DHS Employee Preparedness Initiative Coursework - All FEMA employees must complete one of the courses listed in the DHS EPI Curriculum within the FEMA Employee Knowledge Center by Feb. 28, 2013.
- Executive Development Opportunities - Aug. 30 - The Career Development and Training Branch (CDTB) is accepting nominations for Executive Development Opportunities.
- Human Resources for Managers and Supervisors - August 30 - The FEMA Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer, Career Development and Training Branch is providing additional Human Resources for Supervisors and Managers classes.
- FEMA Internal Rotation Program – August 30 - The Career Development and Training Office has posted ten internal rotation announcements.
Read these stories and more on Employee News Online.
- FEMA Urges Gulf Coast Residents to Take Steps to Prepare as Tropical Storm Isaac Approaches – Aug. 27
- FEMA Urges Gulf Coast Residents to Follow Directions of Local Officials as Hurricane Isaac Approaches – Aug. 28
- FEMA Disaster Workshop Brings Tribal Leaders to the Bay Area to Prepare for, Respond to, Recover from Catastrophic Events – Aug. 28
- Public Libraries to Provide Disaster Preparedness Information in September, National Preparedness Month - Aug. 29
- As Tropical Storm Isaac Moves Inland the Risk of Flash Flooding Increases - Aug. 29
Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297; or e-mail DHSOIGHOTLlNE@dhs.gov.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington, D.C. and will replace the FEMA Weekly.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted.
NOTE TO CONTRIBUTORS: The employee news site will provide the same news categories you became familiar with in the FEMA Weekly – News (Featured Articles), Announcements, and Around FEMA (Employee Collaboration). The news site will be updated daily. You can access the employee news site 24/7, from your work or home computer. Please refer to the updated submission guidelines.