See Administrator Craig Fugate’s interviews on CNN and the Weather Channel taped this morning.
Preview the Ready.gov ESPN “Hero” Public Service Announcement. Prepare. Plan. Be a Hero. Visit Ready.gov.
Did you know?
Congratulations to the following OneDHS Essay winners. So far DHS has featured two of the selected essays from FEMA.
- Maria Roat, FEMA Deputy CIO A World-Class IT Community at DHS
- Betsy A. Colon, FEMA Section Chief, Regional Coordination and Oversight Branch
- Eileen L. Page, FEMA Region I, Community Relations Two Simple and Powerful Words
These essays and essays submitted from other DHS components can be found on the OneDHS Essays page on DHS Connect. Many thanks to all of you who submitted essays and participated in the OneDHS Essay project!
Hatch Act Reminder - The Hatch Act is a federal law that regulates political campaign activity by federal employees as well as state, and local government employees that are paid with federal funds.
Just as FEMA helps people of all political backgrounds, federal employees cannot promote a particular candidate or political party in their official capacity, or while using government property—whether it be a government car, building, computer, or phone—wearing FEMA gear, while at work, or in a government vehicle. Read more.
Recent updates to Employee News Online include the following highlights:
- Happening Soon! Mission Impacts of Extreme Weather - Aug. 27, DHS will host its first panel addressing potential impact of extreme weather on DHS missions, including response and recovery.
- Recent Outbreak of West Nile Virus in the United States - In light of the recent outbreaks of the West Nile virus throughout the country, FEMA Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division would to provide awareness to all FEMA employees.
- National Preparedness Month Outreach - This September will mark the eighth year for the DHS/FEMA Office of National Capital Region Coordination National Preparedness Month Outreach Program, Ready Campaign, and Citizen Corps to sponsor National Preparedness Month.
- Emergency Management Institute Debuts New Master Public Information Officer Course - Twenty one public information officers from across the nation took part Aug. 6-10 in FEMA’s Emergency Management Institute’s inaugural Master Public Information Officer course.
- The Emergency Management Institute Conducts K-12 Emergency Planning Course in Missoula, Mont. - The Emergency Management Institute conducted the L362 Multi-Hazard Emergency Planning for Schools (K-12) Train-the-Trainer course in Missoula, Mont. Aug. 14-16, 2012. Photo by Eric Sorchik.
- California National Guard’s Quick Reaction Force-South Finds the Center for Domestic Preparedness a Good Training Fit - The California National Guard’s Quick Reaction Force-South spent the first two weeks of August in the Appalachian foothills of northern Ala., receiving its annual training at the Center for Domestic Preparedness.
- Ninth Annual Tribal Public Health Emergency Preparedness - Native American tribes attended the Ninth Annual Tribal Public Health Emergency Preparedness meeting in Shelton, Wash. Aug. 14-15.
- Disabled American Veterans Awards FEMA Intern with $20,000 Scholarship - The Disabled American Veterans awarded FEMA summer intern Christiana Hess (Administrative Services, Facility/Support) with a $20,000 scholarship.
- Operation SMART EXIT - On June 28, the Providence Emergency Management Agency, or PEMA, orchestrated the largest full scale evacuation drill in the Rhode Island city’s history, according to Mayor Angel Taveras.
- Recovery Continues on Vermont’s Irene-Battered Covered Bridges - FEMA is supporting the recovery of multiple covered bridges that were damaged by Tropical Storm Irene in Vermont, where there are more covered bridges per capita than in any other state.
- NEW! Annual Flu Vaccinations - FEMA Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division is working closely with Federal Occupational Health to prepare for this year’s annual flu vaccinations for FEMA staff.
- Preparedness Month Outreach Kickoff - The Office of National Capital Region Coordination’s National Preparedness Month Outreach will kickoff at FEMA Headquarters in the Holiday Inn Courtyard on Thursday, Aug. 30, 2012, from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- Webinar Exploring the Strategic Foresight Initiative Strategic Needs II/III - The Strategic Foresight Initiative team has scheduled a webinar/conference call on Tuesday, Aug. 28, 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. EST. to discuss and explore the strategic needs classified as “Innovative Models and Tools”.
- FEMA Internal Rotation Program – August 23 - The Career Development and Training Office has posted nine internal rotation announcements.
- Human Resources for Supervisors and Managers - August 23 - The FEMA Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer, Career Development and Training Branch is providing additional Human Resources for Supervisors and Managers classes.
Read these stories and more on Employee News Online.
- FEMA and Federal Partners Monitor Tropical Storm Isaac’s Approach to the Caribbean - Aug 22
- President Declares Major Disaster for Oklahoma – Aug 22
- Hurricane Andrew 20th Anniversary Is A Reminder To Prepare For Emergencies – Aug 22
- Louisiana – Seven Years After Hurricanes Katrina And Rita – Aug 22
- FEMA Extends Preferred Risk Policies for Homeowners – Aug 21
- President Declares Major Disaster for Ohio – Aug 20
Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297; or e-mail DHSOIGHOTLlNE@dhs.gov.