There are several job openings in Alaska for local hires to assist with recovery efforts after this spring’s flooding. Job seekers can view the openings by going to alexsys.labor.state.ak.us, choosing "Find a Job," selecting "Anywhere in Alaska," and searching for the keyword FEMA. You must register with the Alaska Department of Labor & Workforce Development to apply. If you are already registered with ALEXsys, you can search for these positions by employer.
The positions are as follows:
1. There is a job opening for a data processing / administrative assistant to support operations in Galena.
Specific skills required:
- Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office Products and electronic file management systems.
- Strong customer service skills working with a diverse workforce.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent time management skills.
This is a temporary, full-time position, with 8 base hours per day, and overtime hours and days to be discussed.
2. There is a job opening for Writing and Research Specialists in Anchorage. [application period is now closed]
Job responsibilities include:
- Developing communications plans
- Coordinating DHS/FEMA information programs, etc.
- Coordinating requests for speakers by researching appropriate anecdotes and writing occasional talking points of speeches
- Develop and write informative materials designed to reach selected audiences through news media such as:
- Wire services
- Writing materials such as:
- news releases
- spot radio
- TV announcements
- Fact sheets
- Feature stories
- Background statements
- Interviewing and conferring with managers and program specialists to obtain the latest information for use in:
- News releases
- Radio programs
- Meetings with media representatives
- Evaluating the impact and effectiveness of information materials designed to reach various audiences through news media.
- Assisting media relations persons in the preparation of material related to DHS/FEMA programs.
- Developing and implementing communications plans supporting and cross-media outreach activities such as emergency planning education.
- Evaluating the impact and effectiveness of communications plans and advising management if efforts should be discontinued, emphasis changed, or coverage expanded in improving communications between the DHS/FEMA and various audiences.
3. There is a job opening for a Web Specialist in Anchorage. [application period is now closed]
FEMA is seeking a socially engaged voice for rural Alaska who is well-versed in Twitter, Facebook and other internet-based social media to represent the long-term recovery efforts of those rural communities affected by the flooding of the Yukon River.
Candidates should be:
- An experienced communicator with excellent written and oral presentation skills, a proven body of work both in urban and rural Alaska with proven experience and knowledge of rural social government and native organization structure and programs.
- Able to communicate across the rural urban divide to explain and interpret the goals of the state/FEMA long term recovery team using both traditional media i.e. newspapers, flyers and other written communication a well as the use of radio interviews, news stories and radio broadcasts to reach a diverse audience as well as intensive use of social media to inform and educate.
- Able to write news stories with short deadlines.
- Excellent at public speaking.
- Experienced with radio production, rural public radio broadcasting, short video production.
- Able to speak and write a native language.
- Able to travel to and from rural communities in austere conditions.
4. There is a job opening for an Applicant Services Program Specialist in Anchorage. [application period is now closed]
- The ability to analyze information, set priorities, make important decisions and solve problems in stressful situations.
- The ability to easily adapt to assignments, program changes and remain flexible.
- Sensitivity to cultural issues that differ from region to region, and be able to work well with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Able to present complicated information in a way that is easy to understand.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Good oral and written communication skills.