There is a job opening in Galena for a Disaster Recovery Outreach Coordinator. This position has a one-year expected duration. Job seekers can view the opening by going to alexsys.labor.state.ak.us, choosing "Find a Job," selecting "Anywhere in Alaska," and searching for the keyword Galena. You must register with the Alaska Department of Labor & Workforce Development to apply. If you are already registered with ALEXsys, you can search for these positions by employer.
The position is as follows:
- Assist local, state and federal partners establish a consensus for projects, plans and programs for the Galena long-term disaster recovery plan.
- Identify and resolve issues and barriers to the recovery plan.
- Provide support to or establish committees, task forces and other support groups working toward the implementation of the plan.
- Maintain working relationships with local education, civil and tribal governances, stakeholder groups and disaster recovery project champions as well as state, regional and federal agencies participating in the long-term recovery process.
- EITHER five years of direct public outreach or administration in the state of Alaska
- OR two years with a bachelor’s degree in urban planning, community development, economic development, public administration or a related discipline
- OR a master’s degree in urban planning, community development, economic development, public administration or a related discipline
- Ability to work with local tribal and civil officials to prioritize projects, identify local resources and mobilize state and federal resources to assist with disaster recovery projects and programs
- Knowledge of Alaskan tribal and civil laws, and state and federal programs related to long-term community disaster recovery
- Effective written and oral communication
- Ability to convey complex information to individuals and groups
- Ability to establish working relationships with residents, local organizations and the general public
- Ability to work independently and design work programs in consultation with others
- Comfortable using a personal computer and appropriate software programs
- Experience working in rural, remote Alaskan communities
There are several other FEMA local hire openings in Alaska. Visit the previous Alaska local hire disaster update for more information.