Updates and Articles, Blogs, and News Releases
May 29, 2013
NEW YORK – At the request of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, President Obama has approved a federal cost-share increase for projects funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Public Assistance grant program from 75 percent to 90 percent. This increase allows FEMA to reimburse local, state and tribal governments and certain private nonprofit organizations 90 percent of eligible costs of emergency expenses, debris removal and infrastructure repair. The remaining 10 percent is provided by non-federal funds.
May 29, 2013
NEW YORK – As hurricane season approaches, pledge to protect your family, friends and businesses by knowing your risk, taking action and being an example. The Federal Emergency Management Agency and the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration have partnered again this year to promote National Hurricane Preparedness Week.
May 28, 2013
TRENTON, N.J. ─ With another hurricane season approaching, now is the perfect time to develop a plan that will help keep your family safe and in touch should normal life be disrupted by a hurricane or other natural or man-made disaster. Working together to plan and prepare for a potential disaster can help you and your family remain calm and to cope efficiently when an emergency occurs. There are many things you can do to become better prepared for the unexpected. Here are a few things to consider as you design your family preparedness plan:
May 23, 2013
Disaster Federal Register Notice
May 21, 2013
The Federal Emergency Management Agency urges property owners to take steps now to minimize damage in future storms. To better protect your family and yourself in the event of an emergency, ensure that your home is a safe structure. The following are some house maintenance tips from Ready.gov, FEMA.gov and FloodSmart.gov on how to strengthen and protect your property from rain, wind and flood damages:
May 20, 2013
NEW YORK – People whose property was damaged or destroyed by Hurricane Sandy can get rebuilding advice from a Federal Emergency Management Agency hazard mitigation specialist. The specialists are knowledgeable about building safer and smarter to avoid future losses.
May 20, 2013
NEW YORK — Since Hurricane Sandy struck New York, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved nearly $1.2 billion in Public Assistance grants to reimburse local, state and tribal governments and eligible private nonprofits for some of the costs of emergency response, debris removal and repairing or rebuilding damaged public facilities. Approximately 1,028 grants have been approved so far. Here are some of the recent reimbursements:
May 13, 2013
NEW YORK – People whose property was damaged or destroyed by Hurricane Sandy can get rebuilding advice from a Federal Emergency Management Agency hazard mitigation specialist. The specialists are knowledgeable about cleanup and building safer and smarter to avoid future losses. FEMA specialists will be in Suffolk County at Home Depot stores at 1881 Sunrise Highway in Bay Shore and 5025 Jericho Turnpike in Commack. They will also be available at the Lowe’s store in Suffolk County at 2796 Route 112 in Medford.
May 9, 2013
NEW YORK – People whose property was damaged or destroyed in Super Storm Sandy and are rebuilding can get advice from a FEMA specialist. Hazard Mitigation specialists who are knowledgeable in cleanup and building safer and smarter to avoid future losses will be dispensing guidance free of charge, compliments of FEMA.FEMA will staff tables at Home Depot stores in Suffolk County at 10 Gateway Blvd, Patchogue; and in Richmond County at 545 Targee St, Staten Island; and at a Lowe’s in Nassau County at 253-01 Rockaway Blvd, Rosedale.
May 8, 2013
Following a disaster, it is important for communities to not only rebuild, but to rebuild safer and smarter. Within the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Mitigation Assessment Team (MAT) helps communities rebuild smarter. Its main objectives are to inspect buildings and related infrastructure, conduct forensic engineering analyses to determine causes of structural failure and success, and recommend actions that state and local governments, the construction industry and building code organizations can take to reduce future damages and protect lives and property in hazard areas.