New York Severe Storms and Inland and Coastal Flooding (DR-1692)
Incident period: April 14, 2007 to April 18, 2007
Major Disaster Declaration declared on April 24, 2007
Updates and Articles, Blogs, and News Releases
June 27, 2007
ALBANY, N.Y. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has obligated more than $1 million in Public Assistance (PA) funds to help New York counties repair flood damage and rebuild infrastructure damaged or destroyed in the April nor'easter. This represents 75 percent of the cost of approved public assistance projects. The remaining 25 percent will be paid by the State of New York.
June 25, 2007
ALBANY, N.Y. -- With additional help from federal and state disaster agencies, the tiny Otsego County Village of Gilbertsville is rebuilding from the June 2006 floods without having to sacrifice one of its most historically significant features History is of particular importance to the estimated 350 residents of Gilbertsville. It is one of only a few villages nationwide to be placed, in its entirety, on the National Register of Historical Places.
June 21, 2007
ALBANY, N.Y. -- In addition to assisting New Yorkers recover from the April nor'easter and subsequent flooding, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) also offers information on coping with post-disaster stress. Signs that indicate someone may be suffering from stress include having trouble concentrating or remembering things; difficulty making decisions; replaying the events of the flood; feeling depressed or sad; experiencing anxiety or fear; nightmares; having trouble sleeping; and feeling overwhelmed.
June 20, 2007
ALBANY, N.Y. -- Not all projects to reduce flooding damages in the future require complex solutions. Sometimes a simple fix serves just as well. Take the three lift pump stations located in Chenango County's village of Greene. The pumps are about 20 to 25 feet deep in a manhole and are part of the wastewater treatment system that was knocked off line by the June 2006 flooding.
June 20, 2007
ALBANY, N.Y. -- New Yorkers have several federal and state organizations to turn to for disaster-related questions after the devastation that the April nor’easter brought to 14 counties. While the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is the contact for disaster assistance registration, there are several New York State departments and other federal agencies offering information on disaster-related topics such as flood insurance, disaster preparedness, environmental concerns, consumer affairs, and health, fraud or labor-related issues.
June 18, 2007
ALBANY, N.Y. -- There are only a few days left for homeowners, renters, and business owners who suffered loss or damage from the April nor'easter to register for disaster assistance. Assistance is available to all who qualify, as long as they register by the June 25, 2007 deadline, said officials from both the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the New York State Emergency Management Office (SEMO).