New York Severe Storms and Flooding (DR-1650)

Incident period: June 26, 2006 to July 10, 2006
Major Disaster Declaration declared on July 1, 2006

Updates and Articles, Blogs, and News Releases

August 30, 2006
News Release
ALBANY, N.Y. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has obligated more than $2.8 million in Public Assistance (PA) funds to help New York counties repair flood damage and rebuild infrastructure damaged or destroyed in the June flooding. This represents 75 percent of the cost of approved public assistance projects. The remaining 25 percent will be paid by the State of New York.
August 29, 2006
News Release
ALBANY, N.Y. -- Federal agencies helping New Yorkers recover from the late June flooding have assembled a workforce that includes 36 workers hired from local communities. In addition to these "local hires," the recovery effort includes eight regional firms that have agreed to provide a variety of contracting services. Hiring a portion - in this case, more than 10 percent ? of the recovery team locally provides community-based skills and insights and gives an added boost to the area's economy as well.
August 29, 2006
News Release
ALBANY, N.Y. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has set up a third "self-service" home repair information center in Tioga County. The new center is located in the Home Central True Value at 151 Central Ave. in Owego. The self-service displays will remain open through September 2006 in Owego and the two other Tioga County locations listed below:
August 26, 2006
News Release
ALBANY, N.Y. -- State and federal emergency management officials remind New Yorkers that the registration deadlines for all state and federal assistance have been extended. October 2, 2006 is the new deadline for all programs. Families, individuals, and business owners who were adversely affected by the late June severe storms and flooding have received more than $98.9 million in assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Small Business Administration, and the State of New York.
August 24, 2006
News Release
State and federal officials announced today that the deadlines have been extended to register for assistance to help aid recovery from uninsured or under-insured losses stemming from the late-June flooding. Registrations for the New York State Individual and Family Grant Program and federal aid, as well as programs administered by Empire State Development Corporation will now be accepted until Monday, October 2.
August 24, 2006
News Release
ALBANY, N.Y. -- Federal disaster officials issued a reminder today that New Yorkers who live or operate businesses in 12 counties may be eligible to claim federal income tax refunds from the Internal Revenue Service if they suffered uninsured losses due to the late June floods. The tax break was triggered by President Bush's disaster declaration of July 1. Homeowners and businesses with qualifying casualty losses from the June flooding may file an amended return for 2005 in order to receive a refund.

Pages

Main Content

State/Tribal Government: