North Carolina Hurricane Isabel (DR-1490)
Incident period: September 18, 2003 to September 26, 2003
Major Disaster Declaration declared on September 18, 2003
Updates and Articles, Blogs, and News Releases
October 22, 2003
Raleigh, NC-After five weeks, a total of $65.2 million in federal/state disaster aid had been approved through Tuesday for residents of 47 North Carolina counties that sustained damage during Hurricane Isabel. "We are still registering almost 1,000 people every day," said Gracia Szczech, the federal official coordinating the response for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). "Now that many insurance settlements are complete, people are looking for possible help with eligible underinsured or uninsured losses."
October 21, 2003
Raleigh, NC-Three Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs) that have helped applicants with hurricane recovery information and paperwork during the last three to four weeks will close Tuesday and Wednesday, October 28-29. The centers that are closing this week are as follows (each closes at 7 p.m. on the date given):
October 20, 2003
Raleigh, NC-Three Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs) that help applicants with hurricane recovery information and paperwork will close over the next five days. "People who were affected by Hurricane Isabel should call and register now," says Federal Coordinating Officer Gracia Szczech of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). "Then come in to our recovery centers this week to get help with any questions or to meet with a specialist personally. The process continues to move quickly-we may close the rest of the DRCs by the end of this month."
October 20, 2003
Raleigh, NC - Among the first to arrive and the last to leave disasters, volunteer and church agencies are helping North Carolina residents recently slammed by Hurricane Isabel. "Long-term recovery takes time and commitment," said Ken Skalitzky, volunteer agency coordinator for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in North Carolina.
October 18, 2003
Raleigh, NC -- Crime does not pay-especially after a disaster. The North Carolina Division of Emergency Management Agency (NCDEM) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today issued a warning that aggressive action will be taken against any criminal attempt to defraud the federal government in connection with victims of Hurricane Isabel. "While we try to get help quickly to those who need it, we also work hard to make sure taxpayer dollars are not misused," said Dr. Kenneth B. Taylor, the officer managing the state disaster response for NCDEM.
October 18, 2003
Raleigh, NC -- Wake County has been added to the list of counties eligible for federal and state disaster aid to reimburse eligible public agencies, local governments and certain private non-profit organizations for disaster-related outlays caused by Hurricane Isabel.
» Part 1 - Belhaven|
» Part 2 - Coastal Carolina
» Part 3 - Mitigation Education
|Edenton, NC, September 21, 2003 -- A home just north of town damaged by a tree felled by Hurricane Isabel. Photo by Mark Wolfe/FEMA News Photo||Kitty Hawk, NC, September 26, 2003 -- A house on the coast destroyed by Hurricane Isabel. Photo by Mark Wolfe/FEMA News Photo|