Main Content

Texas Severe Winter Storm (DR-1356)

Main Content

Incident period: December 12, 2000 to January 15, 2001
Major Disaster Declaration declared on January 08, 2001


March 13, 2001 - News Release

Washington, DC -- The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today that President Bush has made additional assistance available for the Texas ice storms last December by authorizing an increase in federal funding to cover the full cost for debris removal. FEMA Director Joe M. Allbaugh said federal funding for debris removal was previously cost--shared with FEMA paying 90 percent of the eligible costs and the state and local governments providing the remaining 10 percent. Under the President's order, the federal share has been increased to 100 percent.

February 22, 2001 - News Release

Texarkana, TX, February 22, 2001 -- Texas residents have until March 9, 2001, to apply for assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in the wake of the severe winter storms that coated parts of northeast Texas with ice in December and January.

February 22, 2001 - News Release

Texarkana, TX, February 22, 2001 -- A community that has suffered losses from ice storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding or earthquakes usually tries to find ways to prevent the same type of damage from happening again. Taking measures to prevent or decrease losses from natural disasters is called mitigation.

Financial Assistance

If and when individual assistance money is approved for this disaster, it will be displayed here. Information is updated every 24 hours.

Public Assistance - Dollars Approved

Public Assistance (PA): Disaster grant assistance available for communities to quickly respond to and recover from major disasters or emergencies declared by the President

Emergency Work (Categories A-B): Work that must be performed to reduce or eliminate an immediate threat to life, protect public health and safety, and to protect improved property that is significantly threatened due to disasters or emergencies declared by the President

Permanent Work (Categories C-G): Work that is required to restore a damaged facility, through repair or restoration, to its pre-disaster design, function, and capacity in accordance with applicable codes and standards

*Dollars Approved: Assistance dollars approved but not necessarily disbursed.

*Dollars Obligated: Funds made available to the State via electronic transfer following FEMA's final review and approval of Public Assistance projects.

Total Public Assistance Grants - Dollars Obligated* Emergency Work (Categories A-B) - Dollars Obligated* Permanent Work (Categories C-G) - Dollars Obligated*
Total Amount $39,711,803.79 $24,308,976.34 $15,313,037.01
Last Updated: Sunday, October 4, 2015 - 06:23 (Updated daily)

Related Links

Back to Top