By Dan Catlett, detailed as the Senior Advisor to the Director of Internal Training Integration
Citing the need to “ensure that our internal training and career development programs are efficient, effective and focused on our core mission of helping disaster survivors”, FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate recently announced his selection of EMI Superintendent Tony Russell to serve as FEMA’s director of internal training integration.
“Tony will have full authority and support to coordinate and synchronize all internal training, leadership, career development, and education programs and activities for the FEMA workforce,” Fugate said in his announcement.
Specific responsibilities assigned by the Administrator to Russell in his new role include:
- Coordinating the development and maintenance of training doctrine, policy and directives
- Minimizing redundancy and overlap of our training, leadership, career development, and education activities and resources
- Identifying and maximizing opportunities for coordination with other department, federal, state, local, tribal, territorial, university, and external private/public training resources when applicable
- Ensuring that requirements for professional and career development are aligned with emergency management, leadership and general FEMA employee training programs
To support the internal training integration program, the Fugate announced the creation of a training committee that will provide Russell with guidance on how to improve coordination among respective training and education programs within FEMA, and serve as a key mechanism for implementing his direction throughout the agency, and includes the following members:
- The Director of Training Integration
- The Assistant Administrator for National Preparedness (Chair)
- The Assistant Administrator for Response
- The Assistant Administrator for Recovery
- The Chief Component Human Capital Officer
- The Deputy Associate Administrator for Mitigation
- Two regional training managers, designated by the Office of Regional Operations
- One federal coordinating officer or federal disaster recovery coordinator, designated by the Office of Federal Disaster Coordination
- One member representing the employees’ unions (selected by the unions)
This newly-formed training committee convened for the first time Tuesday, Aug. 21, in the National Response Coordination Center’s main conference room at FEMA Headquarters. The group agreed to hold future meetings at 10 a.m., on the third Tuesday of each month.
During the first meeting, committee agreed to leveraging previous quality work done by other groups, develop working groups to address and align strategic tasks and objectives, discuss a charter to guide the committee’s implementation, and complete a comprehensive grade-specific, agency-wide mandatory training list.
For more information or to provide suggestions for FEMA’s Internal Training Integration effort, FEMA employees are encouraged to contact Dan Catlett at firstname.lastname@example.org.