Who Should Apply
Are you motivated, creative, energetic, and self-disciplined? Discover which career is right for you and apply today!
FEMA supports our citizens and first responders, but can’t meet this challenging mission alone. Help us prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards.
Steps to Apply for FEMA Positions
Step 1: Find the Right Job for You.
- Search current job openings on USAJOBS.gov.
- Review each announcement for details about that job.
- Determine if your interests and background make you a good candidate.
Note: FEMA jobs require you to be a U.S. citizen and, for some positions, pass a full background investigation.
Step 2: Apply for the Job.
- Read the How to Apply to a FEMA Vacancy guide.
- Create a USAJOBS.gov member account to post your resume, apply to jobs, and check on the status of your application(s).
- Follow the instructions in the “How to Apply” section of each announcement (upper right tab).
- Submit all required documents listed in the announcement’s “How to Apply” section.
- Note the due date and any special application procedures for each job.
- Identify Veterans’ Preference status, if applicable.
Step 3: Interview for the Job.
- The best-qualified candidate applications are forwarded to the hiring official.
- Some qualified applicants are chosen for an interview in person or by telephone.
- Occasionally, a person is hired based solely on his/her application materials.
- To ensure fair and equal treatment among applicants, selection procedures are subject to Federal Civil Service laws.
See Tips and Guidelines about Federal Employment for useful links and general information about applying for Federal jobs.