At the end of each week, we post a "What We’re Watching" blog as we look ahead to the weekend and recap events from the week. We encourage you to share it with your friends and family, and have a safe weekend.
Tropical Activity in Atlantic
We continue to monitor Tropical Storm Patty which has strengthened in the Atlantic east of the Bahamas. According to the National Weather Service, the storm is expected to be short-lived and weaken over the weekend. There are currently no watches or warnings in effect.
We are also continuing to monitor an area of interest over the Eastern Caribbean Sea about 100 miles west of Dominica. Currently, this storm has an 80% chance of becoming a tropical cyclone over the next 48 hours.
We will continue to monitor both storms and provide updates as needed. Visit www.hurricanes.gov for the latest advisories and updates on these storms.
Fire Prevention Week
As Fire Prevention Week comes to a close, we want to thank everyone who shared fire prevention and safety tips, information and resources with their family, friends, neighbors and community. It’s important for everyone in your family to be prepared in the event of a fire.
In case you missed it, here are some important steps you can take to make sure your home and family are ready for an emergency:
- Prepare and practice your fire escape plan twice a year with everyone in your household, including children and people with disabilities.
- Draw a map of each level of your home and show all doors and windows.
- Find two ways to get out of each room. Make sure all doors and windows that lead outside open easily.
- Only purchase collapsible escape ladders evaluated by a recognized testing laboratory. Use the ladder only in a real emergency.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you cannot help them.
- Have a plan for everyone in your home who has a disability.
- Practice your fire escape plan at night and during the daytime.
Visit www.usfa.fema.gov to learn more about preventing home fires and keep your family safe from a fire.
Are You Ready to “ShakeOut”
Next Thursday, October 18 at 10:18 a.m., join millions of people across the nation and Drop, Cover, and Hold On for The Great ShakeOut. The Shakeout is the biggest earthquake drill in the U.S. and it’s a great way for your family or organization to practice what to do if an earthquake strikes.
Already, there are over 12.9 million people registered to participate. So don’t miss this opportunity to make sure you and your family are prepared for an emergency. We hope you’ll join us in this chance to “ShakeOut” for earthquake preparedness.
Visit www.shakeout.org to sign up to participate.
Have a wonderful and safe weekend!