What Specific Items are Covered by "Housing Assistance"?

Main Content

"Housing Assistance" is assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) that may be used to meet your housing needs after a disaster.  Housing assistance can include reimbursement for short term hotel expenses; money to rent a place to live for up to 18 months while your home is being repaired; money to repair damage to your home; or money to help you purchase a new home if your home is destroyed.  If your area does not have any available places to rent while your home is being repaired, FEMA may allow you to live in a FEMA-owned manufactured housing unit temporarily; however, manufactured housing is used only as a last resort when no other housing options are available.

Repair assistance may be used for:

  • Structural parts of your home (foundation, outside walls, roof).
  • Windows, doors, floors, walls, ceilings, cabinetry.
  • Septic or sewage system.
  • Well or other water system.
  • Heating, ventilating, and air conditioning system.
  • Utilities (electrical, plumbing, and gas systems).
  • Entrance and exit ways from your home, including privately owned access roads.
  • Blocking, leveling, and anchoring of a mobile home and reconnecting or resetting its sewer, water, electrical, fuel lines, and tanks.

Financial grants from FEMA are taxpayer funded and have a maximum dollar amount; once your reach the maximum amount, you will not be able to receive any additional grants from FEMA for the disaster.

Last Updated: 
07/24/2014 - 16:00
Back to Top