I applied for assistance. What next?
- We recommend you create an account online at DisasterAssistance.gov to check the status of your registration, update your insurance and bank information and add or update contact information. You can also view and print correspondence from FEMA.
You are not required to create an account to apply for FEMA assistance.
- FEMA will send you a copy of your application, which should arrive either via U.S. mail or, if you elected to receive email correspondence, in your Disaster Assistance Account via email.
- FEMA will also send you an Applicant’s Guide to the Individuals & Households Program to assist you with the process.
- If you do not have insurance that may pay for the damage, refer to step 5.
- If you have insurance that may pay for the damage, you must:
- File your insurance claim
- Provide FEMA with a decision letter (settlement or denial) from your insurance company
- An inspector may contact you to schedule a time to review your damages.
Important Note: If you were referred to the Small Business Administration (SBA), you will receive an SBA application that you must complete and return in order to be considered for some types of FEMA assistance.
When can I expect to receive FEMA assistance?
- If you qualify for assistance, FEMA will send you a check by mail or will make a deposit in your bank account (whichever method you chose when you first applied). You will also receive a letter describing the type of assistance for which the money should be used.
- If you do not qualify for assistance, FEMA will send you a letter explaining the reason. The letter will also explain your rights to file an appeal if you disagree with the reason provided by FEMA.
Check the status of my application
If you’ve created an account you can check the status of your application at DisasterAssistance.gov. Call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Disaster applicants who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY can call 1-800-462-7585 directly. Those who use 711 or Video Relay Service can call 1-800-621-3362. You can also visit a Disaster Recovery Center.
NOTE: After applying for assistance, please wait 24 hours before checking the status of your application. Applying more than once will result in a delay in your application.