Workplace Transformation Updates:
- Black Berry 101 Lunch and Learn scheduled - Tuesday, May 21, from 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. As the agency’s Telework program gains momentum, Blackberries have become increasingly popular among employees due to the easy access they provide to email, the internet and other applications.
- National Telework Week 2013 Manager Survey Results - More than 3,300 FEMA employees participated in National Telework Week, March 4 – 8. Over the course of the week, these employees logged in 46,774 telework hours, tripling an average week’s telework hours.
- NEW! Heightened awareness of snatch and go crimes - Message from the Office of the Chief Security Officer
From the Field
Hurricane Sandy rebuilding task force tours Connecticut - Officials from Connecticut’s shoreline communities had the opportunity to weigh in on the federal response to Hurricane Sandy during a roundtable discussion and shoreline tour hosted by U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal, May 3, in Windsor, Conn.
- Turn Building Safety into Action During Building Safety Month
- Saying “Thank You” During National Police Week
- What We’re Watching: 5/10/13
Employee News and Announcements
EVENT - You are invited to join FEMA and the Southwest Interagency Committee in celebrating Asian American/Pacific Islander Heritage Month Observance Program on Tuesday, May 28 at 11 a.m. at the Barnard Auditorium U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SE, Washington, D.C. 20202. The keynote speaker will be Major General Sharon K.G. Dunbar, Commander, Air Force District of Washington.
- National Police Week honors men, women in law enforcement – Message from Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.
- Appointment of Assistant Administrator, Grant Programs Directorate – Memo from FEMA Administrator, Craig Fugate
- First-ever meeting of federal Recovery Support Function agencies focuses on coordination - Kansas City recently hosted the first-of-its-kind Recovery Support Function Summit.
- Kids experience parent’s service at Mount Weather - In recognition of Take Your Daughters & Sons to Work Day on April 25.
- FEMA helps seniors with disaster preparedness - When a disaster strikes, seniors can help ease the recovery process by planning and preparing an emergency kit specific to their needs beforehand.
- FEMA’s Strategic Foresight Initiative looks to future for practical tools in today’s disaster management challenges – a new approach to communicating the value of strategic foresight.
- Upcoming Webinar - “Putting Foresight Into Practice,” will be held on June 13, 1-3:30 EDT.
- A Plan for Protecting life, property from future disaster damages – the mitigation planning process creates a framework for risk-based decision making.
- Determined Sentry 2013 – Continuity of Operations telework drill - Continuity of Operations isn’t just for Emergency Relocation Group Members, it affects all employees, and mobile work or telework is a good example of a resilient workforce able to respond and support FEMA’s mission under all conditions.
In Memory - Laura Young passed from our presence April 18. Young came to FEMA after a career in industry in Milwaukie due to her desire to want to help people.
Workplace Transformation Detail Opportunity - currently seeking an individual at the GS-14 level for a detail (NTE 120 days) to temporarily fill the position of Executive Officer for the Workplace Transformation Team.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- NEW OPPORTUNITY! Integrated Emergency Management Course - This course uses the IEMC format of lectures and exercises to help a community successfully prepare for a Planned Event. Planned Events are scheduled non-emergency activities.
- U.S. Army War College, Senior Leader Seminar HS Developmental Opportunity - DHS has been invited to send a representative to the winter “US Army’s Senior Leader Seminar”.
- Leadership Essentials – New Dates in Regions and Headquarters added so that the 9/30/13 deadline can be met!
- Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations Workshops in the National Capital Region - The Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer is offering joint workshops on Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations at headquarters
- All-Hazards Position Specific Train-the-Trainer Program - The primary goal of the National Incident Management System Incident Command System All-Hazards Position Specific Training Program is to provide additional training that may be needed by personnel responsible for managing incidents of greater complexity than those typically encountered during routine operations.
- E910 – Integrated Emergency Management Course, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response Course Dates: July 22-25 -The E910 IEMC, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response, addresses preparedness and response in emergency situations based on an earthquake. The participants in the "generic" audience represent various communities from throughout the country.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are aware of a FEMA employee that is not receiving these All Hands Messages, please have them contact the Enterprise Service Desk at 888-457-3362, or email Enterprise-Service-Desk and request to be added to the All Hands distribution lists. You must be a FEMA employee to be added to this list.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted. Please submit story ideas to FEMA-Weekly by close of business Tuesday.