NEW! Instructions on how to configure your eSignature using your PIV card along with how to electronically sign documents. Your smart card reader may be a separate device plugged into a USB port, or it may be built into your keyboard or laptop, as in the pictures below. Contact your local IT POC to obtain a card reader if you do not have a card reader.
This week is Public Service Recognition Week. The Partnership for Public Service and the Washington Post often work together to identify Federal Employees to exemplify their missions or inspire others to public service. Last month, Mark Misczak, Deputy Director of the Individual Assistance Division was selected for this recognition in light of his career-long contributions in assisting disaster survivors and their communities. The feature focuses on motivations for service as well as the achievements/impacts of the work accomplished. This feature highlights why FEMA is such an inspiring place to work. We look forward to seeing future stories about other employees sharing their experiences about what is like to serve the public.
From the Field
- New York Joint Field Office hosts Swedish emergency managers - The New York Joint Field Office, Queens, N.Y., recently hosted a delegation from Stockholm, Sweden, as part of the Joint Field Office’s International Visitors Monthly Briefing Program.
- FEMA builds relationship with Rhode Island high school students - Does FEMA pay attention to green issues? What do you like best about your FEMA job? How can I get a job with FEMA?—These were some of the questions students at the YouthBuild School in Providence, R.I., asked of the FEMA specialists who recently talked with them.
- Deputy Administrator praises FEMA Corps in New York - On March 13, 2012, the White House announced an innovative partnership between the Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Corporation for National and Community Service to establish a FEMA-devoted unit of 1,600 service corps members within AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps solely devoted to disaster preparedness, response, and recovery.
Employee News and Announcements
- Disaster Survivor Assistance Team Pilot Deployments - Disaster Survivor Assistance Teams are already making a difference in response to recent disaster activity.
- ORR welcomes new Associate Administrator - On Thursday, May 2, the Office of Response and Recovery (ORR) held an All-Hands meeting to formally welcome aboard the newly appointed Associate Administrator for the Office of Response and Recovery, Mr. Joseph L. Nimmich.
- Determined Sentry 2013 – Continuity of Operations telework drill - Continuity of Operations isn’t just for Emergency Relocation Group Members, it affects all employees, and mobile work or telework is a good example of a resilient workforce able to respond and support FEMA’s mission under all conditions.
- Sustainability=Telework, making the sustainable connection - Teleworking provides the agency with meaningful outcomes that can be directly associated with sustainability to enhance mission readiness, improved economics, and improve employee performance and morale.
- KUDOS! Kate McCarthy-Barnett inducted into high school Hall of Fame - Kate McCarthy-Barnett, FEMA Region I Disability Integration advisor, was recently honored by induction into the Coventry High School Alumni Association Hall of fame, Coventry, R.I.
- FEMASTAT Launches “Wiki Drive” - The FEMASTAT team is working with the OCIO and other partners to better understand the relationship between employees and the information inside FEMA systems.
- Hazard Mitigation Grants Program has twelve month lock-in ceiling - FEMA places a high priority on supporting expeditious disaster recovery as well as appropriately managing obligations against the Disaster Relief Fund.
- Community Resilience Innovation Challenge - The recipients of the 2012 FEMA Community Resilience Innovation Challenge are in!
- Presidential Proclamation - National Building Safety Month 2013
- Apply for the 2013 Individual and Community Preparedness Awards today - The ICP Awards application period is open through June 5. All submissions must feature achievements taking place between January 1, 2012 and June 5, 2013.
- Secretary Napolitano Announces DHS 2013 ThinkEfficiency Campaign
- Memo from DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano - Launch of Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey
Workplace Transformation Detail Opportunity - currently seeking an individual at the GS-14 level for a detail (NTE 120 days) to temporarily fill the position of Executive Officer for the Workplace Transformation Team.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- May 15, 2013 Deadline! Performance Management – Recordkeeping - All 2012 performance appraisals and 2013 performance management reports for Title V employees are due to Human Capital. If you have not recently provided your direct report’s 2012 performance appraisal documents or 2013 performance plan status, then please contact your program office’s Performance Management Point of Contact.
- NEW OPPORTUNITY! Integrated Emergency Management Course - This course uses the IEMC format of lectures and exercises to help a community successfully prepare for a Planned Event. Planned Events are scheduled non-emergency activities.
- U.S. Army War College, Senior Leader Seminar HS Developmental Opportunity - DHS has been invited to send a representative to the winter “US Army’s Senior Leader Seminar”.
- Leadership Essentials – New Dates in Regions and Headquarters added so that the 9/30/13 deadline can be met!
- Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations Workshops in the National Capital Region - The Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer is offering joint workshops on Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations at headquarters
- All-Hazards Position Specific Train-the-Trainer Program - The primary goal of the National Incident Management System Incident Command System All-Hazards Position Specific Training Program is to provide additional training that may be needed by personnel responsible for managing incidents of greater complexity than those typically encountered during routine operations.
- E910 – Integrated Emergency Management Course, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response Course Dates: July 22-25 -The E910 IEMC, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response, addresses preparedness and response in emergency situations based on an earthquake. The participants in the "generic" audience represent various communities from throughout the country.