The 2014 Atlantic Hurricane Season is here!
The 2014 Hurricane Season starts June 1 and runs until Nov. 30. If you do not already have one, you need to prepare your emergency kit now.
You also need to plan ahead. Think about what you would do if a hurricane or another disaster struck near you. And think about what you would need to carry out that plan.
Some items to consider for your emergency kit are, but not limited to:
- Water and non-perishable food, enough to support each member of the family for up to 72 hours/3 days.
- Battery operated radio and batteries so you can get important information from local officials, especially if there is a call for voluntary or mandatory evacuations. You will also want to know where they may be shelters.
- First aid kit
- Cash or traveler’s check and change
- Important documents such as proof residence, pictures of your family including pets, insurance policies, bank account records, identification records and tax records in a waterproof, portable container.
- Comfortable clothing for each family member with at least one change of clothes
- Blankets and/or sleeping bags for each family member
- Unique family needs such as prescription medications, extra glasses, pet supplies, infant supplies or any other unique need your family may have.
For a full list of items and other valuable information on preparing your family for an emergency please visit: www.Ready.gov.